Thursday, August 16, 2012

Parker's first visit to the ER!

Parker had his first trip to the ER yesterday!  He got 3 staples in the back of his head.  :(  Poor little guy.  He was climbing on Porter's jumper and fell off and hit his head on the only place on the fireplace that could have cut him!  Go figure!  But he was such a trooper...  In fact, after the first few minutes of crying from the fall (although it is unusual for him to even cry for a few minutes), he acted pretty normal!  The only problem we ran into was when they were trying to put the staples in, they had to hold him down and Parker DID NOT like it!  The nurses and doctor were shocked that he was so strong!   In fact, the doctor said Parker was her biggest fighter to date!  She said, "if he is this strong now, I would hate to have to fight him in a few years!"  Haha!  Typical Parker style... won't go down without a fight.

He was fighting them so hard they ended up having to strap his arms down in a straight jacket type thing.  It was so pitiful and since I couldn't be near him (Jerod was holding him down and the nurses and doctors were surrounding him), Porter and I left the room and cried.  Haha... I think I was a bigger baby in those whole ordeal than Parker was!  For those of you who know me well, you know I cannot handle the sight of blood but I think I did pretty well considering!  I guess there was no time to think about all of it until Jerod got home (like 10 minutes after it happened), but as soon as he got off of the phone with the  pediatrician and they told us to take him to the ER, I could feel myself getting light headed and the room was starting to go black.  Apparently I turned ghost white but Jerod got me some juice and I didn't pass out!  I have always been nervous as to how I would handle these situations, so at least I stayed conscious!

The cut is about 3/4 inch long and not too terribly deep, so we got off pretty lucky!  The doctor said it definitely needed staples, but it was actually not as deep as she had originally thought so it should heal pretty quickly!

By the way, Porter had his first trip to the ER when he was 8 months old.  Who would have guessed he would have beat Wild Child?!  He was trying to walk, fell down and bumped his head on a bottom spindle of Mom's kitchen chair.  Of course we were in Tullahoma, and Jerod was on a flight to California when it happened.  What is kind of funny is right before Jerod left on his trip he asked me to check my wallet for my ID and insurance card.  My response was, "I won't need my insurance card!"   Haha... go figure!

We have had lots of bumps and bruises in the past, but right after Porter fell a big knot appeared on his head!  I know this is a good thing (as the swelling is going out, not in) but then he immediately spit up so I called the pediatrician to double check.  I really wasn't sure if he spit up from crying so hard, or from the fall, so I watched him closely for a couple of hours, and sure enough a couple of hours later he threw up 4 times in a row.  This is really unusual for the little booger so his doctor told me take him to the ER!  Thank goodness all was fine with the stinker!

No comments:

Post a Comment